The It Takes Two to Talk Programme is designed specifically for parents of young children (birth to 5 years of age) who have been identified as having a language delay. In a small, personalised group setting, parents learn practical strategies to help their children learn language naturally throughout their day together.
It Takes Two to Talk teaches you, step-by-step, how to become your child’s most important language teacher. The programme shows you how to:
- Recognise your child’s stage and style of communication so that you know which steps to take next
- Identify what motivates your child to interact with you so you’ll know how to get conversations started
- Adjust everyday routines to help your child take turns and keep interactions going
- Follow your child’s lead to build his confidence and encourage him to communicate
- Add language to interactions with your child to help him understand language and then use it when he is ready
- Tweak the way you play and read books with your child to help him learn language
- Change the way you speak to your child so that he’ll understand and learn new words
- 6-8 training sessions for parents in small, personalised groups
- A Hanen Certified Speech & Language therapist leading the programme
- A pre-programme consultation for you and your child
- Three individual visits for you and your child with the Speech & Language therapist in which you are videotaped while practicing strategies to help your child achieve specific communication goals. You and the Speech & Language therapist then watch the videotaped interaction to “see” what’s helping your child and what you can modify to help even more.
It Takes Two to Talk: A Practical Guide for Parents of Children with Language Delays is the guidebook you’ll use throughout the programme to support your learning. This guidebook outlines all of the strategies covered in the programme with very practical examples of what to say and do with your child to promote his language skills.
Benefits of It Takes Two to Talk
Practical strategies you can use in everyday situations
The It Takes Two to Talk Programme shows you how to use your natural, day-to-day life with your child to help him develop language skills. You’ll discover simple things you can do during everyday activities like meal time, story time and bath time to create enjoyable learning opportunities for your child.
It Takes Two to Talk translates the research on early language intervention into concrete strategies that are easy for parents to understand and to put into practice. The programme offers you many opportunities to practice and discuss each strategy you learn so that you’ll be comfortable and confident using them at home.
Here’s an example of an It Takes Two to Talk strategy that can be used during any activity to encourage your child to start conversations:
Research has shown that children learn language best when they are allowed to lead a conversation and communicate about what interests them. The OWL strategy will help you follow your child’s lead so that he’ll be more likely to stay in the interaction with you and get the practice and feedback he needs to build his communication skills.
An evidence-based and reputable programme that’s worth your time
It Takes Two to Talk was developed by expert Speech and Language Therapists and is grounded in extensive research. This evidence-based programme has been proven in clinical practice to have positive effects on the communication development of young children.
It Takes Two to Talk requires a significant time commitment from parents in order to ensure the best possible learning experience. Once you’ve completed the programme, however, the strategies you’ve learned will become such a natural part of the way you interact with your child that you won’t even notice you’re using them. The commitment you put in now will pay off during every interaction you have with your child.
The chance to connect with other parents
One of the greatest benefits of the It Takes Two to Talk Programme is the opportunity it provides to connect with other parents in similar situations. You’ll have the chance to meet people who really understand what you’re feeling and gain valuable insight by listening to their own experiences using It Takes Two to Talk strategies with their child.
Please contact me for a no obligation chat regarding your training needs.
Info from The Hanen Centre