A flexible series of 3 one-day training sessions to support language, literacy and peer interaction in preschool children. Teacher Talk® provides staff with core strategies to create rich and stimulating language-learning environments for young children aged 0-5 years.
Training A: Encouraging Language Development in Early Childhood Settings
Learn how to use everyday conversations, play and daily routines to promote the communication and social development of all children, including those with language delays and second language learners.
Benefits: learn the 6 key steps to following a child’s lead; help children become better conversational partners; learn strategies to ensure no child is left out during group activities.
Training B: Let Language Lead The Way To Literacy
Explore the important links between oral language development and literacy, and gain practical strategies for paving the way for children to read and write.
Benefits: help children develop a positive attitude towards print; use book reading as a time for interaction and conversation; make print a natural and meaningful part of everyday life.
Training C: Fostering Peer Interaction in Early Childhood Settings
Learn how to provide a physical and social environment that encourages peer interaction and creates many opportunities for successful interactions with other children.
Benefits: make the most effective use of space in the classroom; encourage a variety of groupings for interaction; create reasons for interaction and provide specific coaching.
- Training for up to 20 participants delivered by a Hanen Certified speech and language therapist
- A short ‘Pre-programme assignment’ for all participants, to prepare them for learning and enable them to get the maximum benefit from the Hanen approach
- An interactive approach to learning involving: group tasks; the use of video examples; group discussion and role play
- Workshop specific workbooks which:
- Outline each strategy from the workshop session with clear instructions
- Provide examples using illustrations and dialogue
- Contain charts, checklists, and questions with space to write your own answers, allowing participants to personalise the strategies and think about what they are going to do to meet the individual needs of the children in their setting
- Contain a template Action Plan for repeated use
- An evaluation report including a pre and post measure of participants’ knowledge and confidence in creating improved language learning environments in their settings, with a summary of qualitative and quantitative feedback
Info from The Hanen Centre